The earliest records relating to number 8 South Audley Street indicate that it was either rebuilt, or very substantially refurbished by Adolphus Frederick, HRH the Duke of Cambridge (1744-1850), seventh son of George III. He renamed the property Cambridge House. In 1940 the Bachelors’ Club was offered a home by the St James’s Club, with which it amalgamated in 1946. The lease to the building was later acquired by the High Commission of India and the building was renamed The Nehru Centre.
Kenyon was contracted to undertake the sensitive restoration both of this historically significant building and of the Ambassador's private residence in Kensington Palace Gardens.
Fine decorations to the fibrous plaster mouldings were completed. Highlighting with colour enhanced the impact of these splendid features and the colours chosen were intended to reference the cultures of both modern and more traditional India.
Oak flooring, previously restored but only in conspicuous patches, was fully stripped and newly restored to provide a consistent aesthetic finish. The condition of the parquet flooring had deteriorated to such an extent that a complete replacement was required.
Kenyon’s specialist tradesman provided French polishing to featured woodwork throughout both buildings.